Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Week 1 Design 2D & 3D

Well first week back at tackling graphic design. I have survived my first two classes. My first class was getting to know InDesign. We learned several shortcut keys to help move around the program easily such as,
  • zooming in (ctrl +),
  • zooming out (ctrl -),
  • moving to the first page in the document (shift + ctrl + page up),
  • move to last page (shift + ctrl + page down),
  • to previous page (shift + page up),
  • go to next page (shift + page down),
  • move to next spread (alt + down)
  • and move to previous spread (alt + up)

    In the 2D class we had an activity to look at different sources that were available online for reseaching, viewing or getting ideas. I found that universities, blogs, and tutorials were good to look at examples of work and seeing idea and steps taken to produce different pieces. these are links i found
     From the first link I really liked and found inspiration from the following image.

     This paining started from 9 painted pieces of paper each with a different shade value. The paper was then cut up into random shapes and used to create a self portrait. This image is a cropped section from a full portrait. I was amazed to see how random shapes with limited shades to them could create an image with great detail.

           
    After everyone had a 15 min research we collaborated our links to make one page as a source of information for all of us.

    We also looked at last years students work they presented in the exhibition. I really liked the student who did like a fashion show type display.With the quick look i got the dark contrasting colours really stuck in my mind and the use of a box as a 3D advertisement.

    After going through the photos of the exhibition, i started feeling very overwhelmed and nervous at the skills and strengths i will have to bring this semester. It seemed everyone had a hobby or interest to use as inspiration and i couldnt think of anything.

    Then while i was changing my desktop background to one of my favourite photos of Timor, i realised that i could do my exhibition on advertising timor's tourism industry which is needed a boost. I have many ideas that floating in my head. Some of which i want to focus on Crista Rei (a large statue of Jesus on a mountain), scubber diving the reefs, art ie traditional timor house and tais. There was an art exhibition in the museum and im curious to see if they have any pamphlets or info that my be useful to to my idea.

    Here are some images I am thinking of using as sketch material or as starting point.





    I selected these images because when I think of Timor and my favourite things to see that is unique icons to Timor these are the images that jump to mind. These are also my own photos i have taken in the times i have visited there

    Well thats what i have gathered on the first few day... hopefully having a focus on my exhibition is going to be a bonus for me.

    1 comment:

    1. A lovely blog, loaded with stacks of info and insights. Looking forward to seeing your work this Semester.

      ReplyDelete