Thursday, July 28, 2011

Week 2 3D Design

In this weeks 3D class we were given  35 mins to create a design for a CDU Design Student Shoulder Bag.
While creating it we had to think about three key ideas, these being;
o Shape 
o Media 
o Style 

First thought i had was i wanted the bag to be a shoulder bag style so this is where i began my research. here are some examples i found that had pieces i liked:

http://curiousphotos.blogspot.com/2009/03/20-creative-designer-handbags.html


http://freshpic-reviews.blogspot.com/2009/11/50-unusual-and-creative-handbags.html


http://www.designerbagscheap.info/christian-dior-handbags-c-18.html

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/green-school-supplies-44071008


http://movies-yoshiodaquandrew.blogspot.com/2011/03/shoulder-bags-for-school.html

After looking at all of these i decided on the idea to have my bag look like it been made out of random scrap pieces of fabric. 

Shape: Fabrics used would be odd shapes to make one complete bag. each fabric will have different shapes on it ie. squiggles, cross-stitch ect. Also use the basic shape of keys from a keyboard to spell my nick name

 Media: I used my drawing book, HB pencil, Derwent Studio pencils and scanner

Style: My train of thought was, as a designer we throw things together and also tear them apart or break them down. I wanted the bag to portray these things by being mismatched colours and textures. To give it my own style and personality i used keyboard keys to represent my IT skills and my nickname on the keys. I wanted the keys to be the colours of rubiks cube because to me a keyboard represents order (something in which i must have in my life to some extent) and the rubiks cube can also represent this however once the colours are moved and mixed it causes chaos and a complex puzzle (these elements also found in my life). I also wanted to include the CDU logo on the bag because it would make the bag represent a place of learning (which designers are continuously doing).

Here is the final image of my bag:

Also in class we watched a TED film as seen below;

This video demonstrates the artistic and inventive mind of Theo Jansen. He has created moving, kinetic animals using only plastic tubes and lemonade bottle as materials. These animals are built to survive on their own and move independently. The complexity of these creatures are amazing, you can really see the amount of time and research that Theo has put into his creation. He has incorporated unique technology and science to prevent the animal from “drowning”, used the basic rules of the wheel and modified it to become the moving legs of the animal.

After seeing this video I was overwhelmed by the imagination of Theo and the effort he has put into his work to produce the outcome that he desired. I feel his passion for his “animal” is intoxicating and inspiring, and can see this being absorbed by viewers.

"That's all I have to say about that. " Forest Gump...


1 comment:

  1. Same here - great ideas and thinking "out loud". Love it.

    ReplyDelete